An article from iO9 explores 10 different ways to turn our own life experiences into science fiction stories.
See the full article at: http://io9.com/10-ways-to-turn-your-real-life-experiences-into-science-1672787624
Here are the headlines:
1. Find an objective correlative
2. Use your experience as the status quo that gets disrupted
3. Find the nightmarish, bizarre kernel of your trauma
4. Exaggerate all the details and romanticize
5. Make yourself the alien in that story, or see yourself through alien eyes
6. Let yourself fantasize about what you wish had happened... then subvert that
7. Use your real-life specialized knowledge to shore up your world-building
8. Identify the genre your experience belongs to, and then just write in that genre.
9. Take your totally illogical experience and make it logical.
10. Start with the truth and keep twisting it