- Hero knows what he/she wants but not what he/she needs
- Embarrassing incident that brings a dangerous opportunity
- Hero commits and makes progress by doing it the easy way
- The easy way leads to a big disaster and loss of safety
- The hero tries the hard way, dealing with real consequences
- The hero faces a spiritual crisis as a result of those consequences
- The strengthened hero deals with the problem once and for all.
This is described in full by Matt Bird over at Cockeyed Caravan in the Hero Project.